Monday, September 29, 2008

Ctrl + Z

Many of you reading this post are much smarter than I am. Without a doubt, you are certainly more computer savvy than I am. For example: How many of you knew that pressing the control (Ctrl) key and the "Z" key at the same time was the "Undo" edit button? While I've become quite proficient with the "Ctrl + C" for copying text and "Ctrl + V" for pasting information, and even the "Ctrl + X" for the cutting function, I've just recently learned the benefit of the "Undo" feature. Several times in the last month I've accidentally deleted entire paragraphs, posts, documents, comments, edits, emails etc., and many times I've been able to restore my work by simply hitting the "Ctrl + Z." If you could have only seen my happy face as I realized that I wasn't going to have to reproduce my entire work. Lucky Me! What a time saver.

The "Undo" feature has never saved me from really big and stupid mistakes like -When my entire computer locks up or shuts down before I've saved my documents but clearly, this function has saved me some time and restored me to my natural state of zen. But I digress, I didn't really mean this as a lesson in "keyboard-ology" but I use this analogy to ask you all if there have been times in your life that you wish you could have just hit the "Undo" button and gone back to where you were before?

Just last month while in Kauai, I snorkeled out to this small island reef area about 100 yards off shore. When I got there, I was pretty proud of myself and was standing around enjoying the view and that's when I noticed my error. I realized that I had the keys to the rental car in my wet swimming trunks. Oh no I thought! Salt water does crazy things to electronics. I knew that. It probably would have been okay to put them back in my pocket and swim back to shore but I couldn't help but think - How am I going to get these keys back without doing more damage?








I thought of everything. I tried to stuff the keys inside my mask and swim back but they wouldn't fit. I considered throwing the keys as far as I could toward land but I doubted my ability to reach the sandy shore. I looked around for plastic, or anything I could use to help me. No luck. Ultimately, I decided to swim back holding the keys above the water. Boy was I tired. And I'm sure I looked pretty silly too. I made it back, the keys dried out and the remote function still worked. And I happily didn't have to pay the rental car company money for a new FOB. So my point is this.... Wouldn't it have been great to hit the "Cntrl + Z" keys and go back to just before my stupid mistake? I think so.


On a different note, today I watched the Stock Market (The Dow dropped 777 points) run through some more crazy gyrations and I watched members of Congress (The House) look amateurish and juvenile, I looked all over for the "Undo" button. I just couldn't find one. I wanted to reset the day and start it over but to no avail. I wanted to send all the members of the House back to their room and make them vote again! As much as I realize that this is a complicated and difficult process, I just didn't feel any better when I listened to the respective reasons why they couldn't reach an agreement. I reluctantly watched the "Blame Game" which followed. The Republicans blamed the Democrats and Nancy Pelosi for making a partisan speech and the Democrats blamed the Republicans for not supporting a plan endorsed by George Bush. Give me a break....... Undo. Undo. Undo. Undo.... Where is that button?





I couldn't find the button but if you're interested here's what transpired:




From CNN.com


After the vote, Boehner said, "Americans are angry, and so are my colleagues. They don't want to have to vote for a bill like this, and I understand that." Watch Boehner blame Pelosi »



The Republican House leadership blamed Pelosi, saying she gave a partisan speech before the vote that alienated House Republicans. Watch Pelosi say the Democrats delivered »
Rep. Barney Frank, a Massachusetts Democrat who was a key negotiator of the bill, said Republican leaders were blaming Pelosi because they were embarrassed that they failed to get a majority of the Republicans to vote for the bill.
Can they at least make me feel better and tell me it wasn't a good "bail-out plan" and that's why it wasn't approved? Undo... Undooooo Please!

Fortunately, I'm unusually optimistic. I'm confident that some sort of plan will emerge this week. The market will recover slightly and hopefully we can find a way to reach a compromise on the issues surrounding this crisis. We're not going to be out of the woods for a while but we need to start looking for the trail before it gets too dark to see. I'm hoping for a better plan and more universal support. Personally, I'm growing weary of the gaming that's going on at our expense. Isn't it about time to start doing things because they are right and not because they are political? Since we can't undo this mess it's time for the members of Congress to do their share of the swimming with the keys out of the water and come up with and approve a viable plan. I hope they are up for it.


I'm also growing weary of this political struggle. Feel free to send me some personal stories about times you wish you had an "Undo" button. That would be nice.



Make me laugh.



Thanks

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, I didn't know about the undo button, and MAN!! am I glad that I know about it now. I wondered about it just a couple of days ago. thanks! Oh, do I wish I could go back and undo a lot of things in my past. However, they are not stories that would make you laugh. Sorry.

Can you believe they just left? I mean, I realize it is the Jewish holiday, and I respect that...but, they just left it????

intrepidideas said...

Tamera,
you made my day. So I'm not the only person who just learned about the Undo? I bet you're just saying that to make me feel better. Anyway, to answer your question... Yeah, I can believe they just left it. I was somewhat disappointed in how they left it though. Ultimately, it may prove to be the best move. I'm hoping we get a better "bail-out" plan as a result of the delay. The market will stagger but the money will eventually come back into play. The individuals will be hurt the most. Not the institutions. More people will lose their homes and jobs because of the delay. These possibly could have been avoided with a timely delay. But that's part of the whole dilemma. Do we bail out the individuals? Institutions? Both? Neither? And what controls do we institute. All tough choices. I need a Margarita... How post storm Texas going?

Jane Turley said...

OOh I'm giggling away at the image of the suave Mr I having made such a silly, silly mistake! Did you do backstroke or breast stroke on the way back? Either way pretty tough with a current/waves.

I didn't know about that button. I just use the little circular arrows at the top of microsoft word that serve the same purpose. Or does control/z do it for all documents? I discovered the arrow thing (Well actually Master Sam told me!) after I'd lost a chapter of my book...and rewrote it...

OK here's an "undo" story.. when Master Jacob was a baby we lived in a town centre with residents parking only. We went out for a while and on the way back he began screaming.. I threw caution to the wind and decided to breastfeed him in the car. Of course when we got home there was no parking, so we had to park some distance away...Unfortunately, it was only when we got home I realised I'd not covered myself up....

And I just thought people were thinking "what a lovely baby"....

Hmm that was definately an "undo" moment....

I do hope some sort of financial package is passed by the US gov soon. Things are pretty bad here too - only yesterday the government was forced to nationalize one of our building societies; it is time for some confidence, no matter how meagre, to be restored.

Anyway, let's get down to essentials; were those knee length speedos or the short ones?!

intrepidideas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
intrepidideas said...

Miss Jane, An Undo moment for sure. Nothing like really getting to know your neighbors huh? Funny but not too bad huh? Besides, I always thought Europeans were so much more relaxed over those issues. The longer Speedos dear!

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

I KNEW there had to be a way... Have to try that on the iMac, but it just sounds "right"!

Hmmm... I have a few "undo's" or "redo's"(I can live with them), but your snorkeling story reminds me of the time my ex- had to call Avis and say, "Ummm... I seem to have lost our keys in some
coral." Snorkeling in Hawaii, wouldn't you know?

I think we have a theme here!

intrepidideas said...

Footsteps, are you trying to tell me it was a "man" thing? Okay, I'm guilty. There was also the time I dropped my own keys in a mug of green tea. Damage averted. It's amazing what you can do with a blow dryer!

Shelia said...

The only 'undo' button sufficient to wipe away the mess that is our government is the hand of God. Quite frankly I'm amazed...I didn't think they could do anything else with such impressive studpidity, and guess what? They did!

Here, this "undo" ought to give you a chuckle. When I was eighteen-years-old, I had my first experience of too much to drink...ehhh, stone drunk. I was at a somewhat low-key party that I was helping my aunt host. I found myself sitting at the bar with this urge to express something that I thought was critical to the knowledge of the others at the party.

So, I slid down off of the bar stool, walked to the center of the room, asked everyone to be quiet and very loudly proclaimed that, "VIENNA SAUSAGES COME FROM VIENNA."

First off, I've never even eaten Vienna sausages and I don't know where the heck they're made. But you can rest assured that all of those who I am still in contact with to this day have NEVER let me forget my original espisode of drinking too much.

You can bet your bottom dollar that never happened again.

Jane Turley said...

Well, I believe Europeans are more relaxed about such things..but remember us Brits are an island set apart. We are by nature very reserved about such matters; "stiff upper lip" and all that stuff...

Knee length eh? What's matter with you? Afraid of being roughed up by some coral?!

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

Ha! Actually I was going for a "tourist in Hawaii" theme (because I really want to be one again!). I am just as capable of losing keys in coral as any man.
Green tea, though? Not so sure... I'm thinking that requires special talent.

Jane Turley said...

Well said Footsteps! It takes a lot of talent to lose your keys is a mug of green tea but perhaps even more to drink it!

Best to stick to the simple stuff, what d'you reckon Footsteps? Is Mr I overdoing the healthy living bit or what?!

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

Simple is good Miss Jane, but I'm thinking that when on vacation Intrepid shouldn't have to mess with pedestrian details such as car keys and where he might have mislaid his fruity drink with the umbrella in it. It's intervention time.

For the good of mankind, I think one of us must tag along on his tropical vacations to assure that he never finds himself in such an awkward position again.

Sigh. I know... But, it's the right thing to do.

intrepidideas said...

Shelia, thanks for the visit and the comment. I guess I was expecting someone to chime in with the "too much to drink" story. You got away easy. A lifetime of humility over VIENNA SAUSAGES isn't too bad. :)

intrepidideas said...

Miss Jane,

You're so right. I've forgotten how stuffy you Brits can be about such things. I remember walking through Green Park in the middle of summer and watching all of the ladies on lunch break sun bathe in their panties and bras. A bit more European than the U.S. Meanwhile, in Germany and France, they were going for the no tan line look. If you know what I mean. :) And about those swimming trunks... I do own a pair of very short and tight speedos. But outside of Brazil, the French Riviera, and a singles cruise.... I can't think of when they might be stylish. Well maybe swimming laps at the YMCA.

intrepidideas said...

Footsteps, I love the way you're thinking... Sacrifices must be made. But if you're up for the harsh duty. I'll sign you up for the detail! Bring your running shoes. Intervene!

Anonymous said...

Ah yes Footsteps, that is a noble idea. The poor man obviously can't cope and needs some feminine assistance in the organization dept. I feel he needs some help in the fashion department too; the thought of dipping my toes in the surf in Hawaii is heavenly... but then the horror of laying my eyes upon him adorned in his knee length speedos might be too much for a woman of my age to bear...

Oh well, I suppose I could suffer the speedos out of charity (and a free holiday). Now what shall we do; alternate or toss a coin?

(Let's agree now to rule out mud wrestling, a wet tee shirt competition or anything of such ilk because I've heard that underneath that sophisticated exterior of Mr I's there's a devil in disguise....)

intrepidideas said...

Oh Miss Jane.... I see your alter-personality (Jayne) is emerging again. What shall I do with you? You do know me well; and you make me laugh! (snicker) Okay, let's assume you survive seeing me in a pair of Speedos? Then What?

Jane Turley said...

Hmm...Mr I is obviously very attached to his modest speedos so it would only be proper for Miss Jane to be suitably attired if she was to accompany Mr I. Of course, I am a pure, demure English girl, not like the brazen hussies of which you talk. So.. I shall wear my panataloons with matching Laura Ashley smock top... Oh what a fine couple we shall look! People, all over the beach will say "Oh, what a fine handsome couple and so inconspicuous!"

And then? Why Mr I you will go snorkelling and the refined Miss Jane will go paddling (and hope that some maurading beast does not pull her under the water!)

Oh, I am silly aren't I?!

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

Miss Jane (oh, and Intrepid too),
It sounds as though it all boils down to wardrobe. Just as glad to avoid the mud wrestling et al... Perhaps whomever can best coordinate to his chosen beach apparel should be the keeper of the keys. For the sake of mankind and all...

Jane Turley said...

Footsteps, I do love that description "Keeper of the Keys" it has such a royal feel about it! And because of my association with The British Royal Family I feel I am suitably qualified (1981 Royal Wedding mug) for the job. But I accept your terms; are you planning on wearing knee length speedos too?? I am mortified at the very thought! However, I am sure you have youth on your side; whereas I, a lady marginally younger than Joan Collins does not. Therefore, I offer my services to Mr I in my pantaloons, smock and of course a big floopy hat covered in roses to protect my delicate white skin...

What say you Footsteps and Mr I? Speedos or pantaloons?

intrepidideas said...

You two are absolutely hilarious... Allow me a minute to enjoy this moment. Thank You!

intrepidideas said...

I'm sure you both will look lovely in whatever you wear. ???

(Questions pantaloons and pages through the encyclopedia for a photo)

Footsteps, perhaps we need to dress it up a bit. I had no idea we were traveling with "near royalty." Maybe my flipflops, short, and sleevless shirt may be too casual. You think we can get her to bring her Royal Wedding mug? It might get us to the head of the line to see Don Ho sing "Tiny Bubbles!>

josey said...

INTREPID!!
hi :) *lol*

oh yeshyesh, CTRL+Z IS a lifesaver. hehe. being the total puter geek i am, somehow that is one i DIDNT know about a year or so ago. i was POURING my heart and soul into a blog post (you know, important stuff! LOL) and suddenly one of the cats decides to tiptoe across my keyboard, wiping it all out! :-O

i was totally defeated, until my techy hubby saved the day by pressing those 2 magic keys. ive used it countless times since then!

anyhoo, i totally wish i could CTRL+Z something that happened in high school...my choice of entering my boyfriend's parents' bathroom without knocking and walking in to see my boyfriend's older brother (whom i had a HUGE crush on) on the crapper, pants around his ankles and a newspaper on his lap (THANK GOODNESS! HAHAH!)!!! the funny thing is that i didnt say anything, just a brief, horrified look (like his haha) and neither one of us ever mentioned it. HAHA!

actually even DELETE would be great for this one...teehee!

glad you got the keys safely back btw! :D

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Did you know if you pres control H and the scr lk (scroll lock) key at the same time one toilet in the world will implode???

... I found this out whill takin a dump with my laptop

This is also a good way of insuring that nobody asks you to BORROW your laptop


KAAA BOOOOOOOMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

intrepidideas said...

Josey... Josey... Josey! where have you been? You've been away too long. Welcome back and thanks for the funny story!

intrepidideas said...

Speedy, you've got to watch out for those laptops. You know they heat up? Let's hope that you don't burn something that you might need later.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

You in the can??

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Hope that is not my laptop!!

intrepidideas said...

Nope, I'm safe. When I'm on the can, I like to keep my hands free. You never know when an emergency may pop up.