Friday, September 26, 2008

The Debate. Closer than I expected.......

McCain throws down a pair of 3's
but Obama wins with a pair of 4's!

That's the way I saw it. After 90 minutes of debate, there were no real knock - out punches. And nothing really glamorous. McCain consistently reminded the audience that "Senator Obama doesn't understand." And Obama got even by reminding everyone several times that McCain is tied at the hip to the Bush administration. They sparred a bit over the economy, Iraq, and Iran - And disagreed on an interpretation of Kissinger's view on meeting with heads of rogue nations - but each punched and counter-punched well. I must admit that McCain did better than I expected him to. While he appeared to be a bit patronizing and disrespectful at times, he managed to tough it out and blow his own horn on several occasions. All this was accomplished with no senior moments or loss of temper.

Obama, who was playing into McCain's strength in foreign policy, clearly showed up prepared. He appeared quite sharp, and presidential but he was not able to deliver the punishing blows to get McCain on the ropes. Obama gets credit for throwing a "Sugar Ray Leonard" style flurry - but there was very little damage. Perhaps a strong sound bite for tomorrow's news but that's about it. The consensus (from the experts and media) seems to be that Obama won the debate. I suspect many voters were left unchanged. In other words, if they walked in tonight supporting Obama, they probably walked out still supporting him and the same for McCain supporters.

On a different note, Senator Joe Biden made an appearance and delivered a great post debate commentary. On the other hand, Sarah Palin was conspicuously absent!

Next week will be their turn! I hope they can offer up something a bit juicier!

6 comments:

Jane Turley said...

I liked your boxing and poker game analogies - a very effective way of illustrating the conflict between these two contenders. A well written, succinct yet colourful account and from what I have seen and read on the BBC a balanced and fair representation of the actual events.

(Send me the fiver later.)

Ps A truffle?

intrepidideas said...

Thank You Miss Jane! I wanted to capture the pugilistic side of this race as well as shine some light on the strategic moves of this competition.

Oh yes, the sweet and delicate taste of a truffle! Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy, am I ever waiting on the Biden-Palin debate. I just finished his book, and reading about all of his International work and trips abroad throughout a long career.

intrepidideas said...

Yeah, this next debate (should it happen) should prove to be more of an animated event. So what do you think of Biden's book? Do you recommend it? I once met him on an airplane from Philadelphia to Los Angeles. I was seated in First Class and Senator Biden was traveling in coach. As he was getting on the plane he stopped and chatted a moment. The gentleman sitting next to me walked up to Senator Biden and said something like "I think you're a great guy and you've done a lot for our state (He was a Delaware Resident) and our nation. I'd consider it an honor if you took my First Class seat and let me ride in coach." Why didn't I think of doing something as gallant as that? Anyway, Biden declined and I was disappointed. It would have been great to sit next to him for 4 hours and pick his brain. :) Let's compare notes after Thursday.

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

I've never been so uninspired regarding an election. I'm passionate about our voting privileges. In fact, I was on my way to vote when I got the call that my dad had died in 2000 and was compelled to return to the polls on my way home from the hospital that night. I would never miss a vote. But how I wish I could feel a little better about our options...

intrepidideas said...

Footsteps, that's amazing. I'd say passionate is an understatement. To make it back to the polls under those sad circumstances is remarkable. I'd also imagine that voting time can be a bit emotional for you. As I watch the fiasco today with the "Attempted bail-out" plan proposed by a Republican administration, Backed by a Democratic Congress, and not supported by the Republican Congress - I stand bewildered. I'm then further exasperated by the explanations as to why it didn't pass. I suppose I'd hoped to hear more logical answers to why the proposal didn't pass but then all I saw was the "Blame Game." I've seen children act more responsible. That was quite uninspiring to me. I wonder if we're looking at more failures than just in the banking industry....... Well enough of that garbage... :) Let's move on to something Happy! Thanks for having the guts to comment on a controversial subject. :)