Friday, November 2, 2007

California Fires - Under Control?

details of this photo

Wow! What a season in the wild fire department! I've been a resident of California for 14 years now and this is certainly the worst year I can recall. Is it just me, or are many things going to extremes now? Global warming? The economy? Cancer? Health care? Water and fuel shortages? Crime? Just pick a topic and everything seems to be at an all time high. Except for my salary of course - LOL! Anyway, I watched in horror this year as many people lost everything they owned to fires burning nearly out of control. Others evacuated and were inconvenienced and faced the threat of peril. I was outraged to learn that according to an Orange County fire official one of the larger fires in Southern California was deliberately started by someone with apparent knowledge of arson.

The Santiago Fire in Orange County was started in two places along a little-traveled road, according to Chief Chip Prather of the county's fire authority. The fire, which has burned more than 25,000 acres, was started in brush just off Santiago Canyon Road, not close to homes. It spread rapidly, indicating the arsonist had some knowledge of winds and other factors.
"It is a confirmed arson. There was evidence found at the scene. That is the purpose of our early declaration of it being an arson-caused fire," Prather said. He would not describe the evidence.

click here for more of this story.

Horrific to say the least! So as I pondered the worst. I questioned and examined my own vulnerability.

If these such fires approached your home how would you protect your possessions and loved ones? Do you have a plan?

I don't. I need to get my butt in gear!

I also had a realization: I have a lot of stuff on my computer that I need to back up! Yeah, I have a laptop and I generally back things up on flash drives and such. But what about all of the stuff on my desk top computer that would be very difficult to replace? I decided I should be a bit proactive and search for a FREE online backup site. So I hit CNet.com and did some research. I came across a company that I had read about before in the Bottom Line.

They offer 2 GB of free online storage.

Additionally, they will increase your free amount for you and each of your referrals. That's right. If you sign up using my referral link, you and I will each get an additional 256MB of space.

So check it out using my referral link:



Click Here to get 2 GB of free back up space plus and additional 256MB



Also, click here if you want to stay up on the fires in California. This is a very informative site and includes daily updates on the fires. According to the site, almost all of the fires are currently 100% contained. One fire, the Poomacha fire, is 90% contained.


I'll have to be a little more proactive on some other things in life now too. Material things generally can be replaced. But there are quite a few memories attached to some of the things in my home.

My heart goes out to those individuals and families who lost so much.

Want to help out?

See American Red Cross:

American Red Cross: Cash donations can be made through http://www.redcross.org/ or through a local Red Cross chapter. Volunteers also are needed. Information on shelter locations can be found on Red Cross websites for Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange and San Diego counties and the Inland Empire. Donations of clothing can be made at Goodwill locations. Information: (800) REDCROSS or (800) 257-7575 for Spanish speakers.










No comments: