Sunday, March 23, 2008

Eat This Not That

Why are some people so smart and I'm not? Ever ask yourself that question? Well today I did. Again! But for a different reason this time.

I've subscribed to Men's Health magazine for years and for some silly reason, I keep renewing the subscription. It's silly because it seems to me that the information just keeps getting recycled. I know it's not entirely true but I feel like I just keep reading a repeat of the same stuff. After all, there must be a finite level of information. So at some point, they've got to run out of workout routines and food that's good for you to eat and things you can do to stimulate your sex partner right? Furthermore, I generally don't get through all of my magazines. So I sometimes just leave them on the airplane as a gift for someone who is looking for some cheap (free) reading material. - Remember when the airlines used to provide you with magazines and newspapers? Now you're lucky to get some peanuts or pretzels.

I just feel like I could keep my past issues for 4 years and just keep rereading those issues over and over again. My memory is good but it's short so by the time I get back to the beginning of the cycle, It would be like learning new stuff all over again. In the long run I'll be just as knowledgeable as if I continued to subscribe. And if I invest the subscription money wisely, who knows, maybe I can be the next Warren Buffett. What do you think?

Okay, all sarcasm aside, I think I'd miss a few things if I cancelled my subscription. For one, I really enjoy reading the "Jimmy the bartender" series. I'll elaborate on Jimmy in a later post. I also enjoy browsing the "Eat This Not That" articles. But I'm always amazed at how I seem to like the stuff that's on the "Not That" side better.




For example:

Given the choice of ordering a Tuna Sandwich from Subway or a double roast beef sandwich from Subway which would you think is better?

For me, the choice is simple. I'm trying to stay away from red meat (when I can) and I'm thinking fish is better for you with the Omegas and such so it's an easy choice. Go with the Tuna Right?

Wrongo fish breath! According to the guide, you should eat the Roast Beef. (click for details)

Eat This

6-inch Double Roast Beef Sub

Calories 360
Fat 7 g
Sat. Fat 3.5 g
Sodium 1,300 mg

Even with twice the meat--and double the protein--this sandwich still has only a fraction of the fat found in the tuna.


Not This


6-inch Tuna Sub

Calories 530
Fat 31 g
Fat 7 g
Sodium 1,010 mg

Gloppy mayo-based tuna salad sends this sandwich's fat counts skyrocketing.


See what I mean? I'm just destined to be not as smart as some of you out there. Maybe you'll take pity on me and comment on my site!

Thanks for reading....

4 comments:

Day Dreamer said...

I ask myself that question all the time!

If Susan Powder cand be smart about nutrition than anyone can....

I can probably recycle all my Red Book, and Family Circle mags too. But not my old Rolling Stone Mags!

Thembi Ford said...

This is a great post...im trying high fiber out of desperation and my body is mad becase it misses the red wine and pasta treatment - aint nothin else to do!

intrepidideas said...

Day Dreamer... Thanks for the visit and comment.

Hang on to those Rolling Stone Mags... "They'll be worth something one day!" Ha, ha....

intrepidideas said...

Hey Thembi - Wuz Up? Long time no see. Thanks for stopping by. Please tell me you didn't give up the red wine? Wine and Chocolate should be the last to go. (smile)