Saturday, January 17, 2009

Free Cosmetics

Inauguration or Free Cosmetics?

Did you know that you can walk into a department store on Tuesday and get free cosmetics?

While some people are planning social events around the upcoming inauguration on January 20, 2009, others are secretly plotting their strategies for getting their share of the $175 million worth of free cosmetics products that will be distributed to members of the class following a class action suit.

If you haven't heard, $175 million worth of free cosmetics products will be distributed to members of the class (follow this link to determine whether you are a member of the class) for a maximum of seven days, while supplies last, on a first come, first served basis, beginning on January 20, 2009. No rain checks will be issued. The products will be distributed at stores owned by the Retailer Defendants (see list immediately below).


The stores owned by the Retailer Defendants that will be participating in the settlement product distribution are the following:

Bergdorf Goodman
Bergner’s
Bloomingdale’s
Boston Store
Carson Pirie Scott
Dillard’s
Gottschalks
Herberger’s
Macy’s
Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom
Parisian
Saks Fifth Avenue
Younkers

A class member will be eligible to receive, while supplies last, a maximum of ONE free cosmetics product from one of the Manufacturer Defendants from which he or she purchased Department Store Cosmetics1 during the class period, May 29, 1994 through July 16, 2003.

It sounds like a huge class of people and that all you have to do is walk into one of the participating stores, pick a product, fill out some paper work, and walk away with your settlement.

I'm kind of curious as to what the rush will be like on the stores Tuesday morning. The word is starting to spread on the radios out here and the radio DJ's are really talking it up. I wonder if people will be standing in line to claim their cosmetics or watching the Inauguration.....
I hope to be home watching the Inauguration - but if you're walking through Bloomingdale's will you pick up some cologne for me please?

Stay tuned!

You can follow this link see a list of the cosmetics and to learn more about the class action suit.

Or you can click here for a prior story.

3 comments:

Chris said...

You know, when I first started reading, I didn't believe that such a thing could be true! It seems very odd.

So, if I happen to already be at the mall, I guess I'll pop into Macy's and see what's going on. It would be interesting to know how many people mobbed the place! :)

MickisMorsels said...

Down economy, free item sounds good, except that doesn't really help the economy...unless of course, you do some extra shopping...which brings me to the next idea that it is a huge marketing ploy. I'm not a conspiracist, but marketing is one of my trades.

intrepidideas said...

Chris... Let me know what you find. I'm not sure I'll make it to the mall but we can compare notes.

Micki,
You said it. I think they're getting us going and coming. Maybe "Free" isn't "Free."