Sunday, March 8, 2009

Music Monday - Some Like It Hot

When you hear the phrase "Some Like It Hot" who or what do you think of?

Do you think of Marilyn Monroe



Marilyn Monroe - From the 1959 movie Some Like It Hot




Or Do you think of the song - " Some like it Hot" recorded by Power Station. Power Station was a 1980's group which featured singer Robert Palmer, bassist John Taylor and guitarist Andy Taylor of Duran Duran; and former Chic drummer Tony Thompson. Bernard Edwards, also of Chic, was involved on the studio side as recording producer. Interestingly, the band was formed in 1984 during a break in Duran Duran's schedule (Catch that Jane?). Further, Power Station was named after The Power Station recording studio where their album was recorded.

I learned during this post that Robert Palmer is no longer with us - Palmer, who made his home in Lugano, Switzerland for his last 15 years, died in Paris, France in 2003 of a sudden heart attack at the age of 54. Way too young! He is interred at the cemetery in Lugano.

I'll admit, when I think of Palmer, I'm reminded of the following:

Yeah, you got it! The Addicted to Love video of the 80's. Was that hot or what?

But mostly, I'm also reminded of the lyrics to a song by Palmer and Power Station:

Some like it hot and some sweat when the heat is on

Some feel the heat and decide that they can't go on

Some like it hot, but you can't tell how hot 'til you try

Some like it hot, so let's turn up the heat 'til we fry

Sappy I know - but catchy. Especially the part about turning up the heat 'til we fry!

Here's my choice for Music Monday!




Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.




6 comments:

Jane Turley said...

Nice choices this morning Mr I - Some Like it Hot with Marilyn is one of my all time favourite films and I remember Power Station and the Robert Palmer classic Addicted to Love - it pops up on telly every now and again in music documentaries that type of thing - I guess it's an eighties classic video.

Oh yes, I remember the news about the death of Robert Palmer. I guess it would have been much bigger news over here. His daughter Patsy is a big soap star over here and has been for years. ( Not that I watch soaps but like reality TV they get a lot of column inches.)

Jane Turley said...

Oh ps - I'm for the jumping (so long as you've not got family responsibilites.)-If you've gotta go you might as well go in style. A moment like that guy had - would that be better than walking on the moon? Difficult to say....

Unknown said...

I love Marilyn!

Chris said...

I had no idea about Robert Palmer! I always found it somewhat hilarious how men drooled over that video you mentioned. :)

Some like it hot? I think of something spicy... like buffalo wings! YUM! haha (I'm so boring!) :)

Struggling Parents said...

Nice blog, I found your link through Mister Linky..have a wonderful weekend !!!

SlipOn said...

Hi
I have the best quality ring tone you can refer. Unique ringtone. Free ringtones. Ringtones from famous movies in the world. Many people around the world have installed ringtones for their mobile phones. How about you? Visit the home page below to get your favorite ringtone:https://ringtonemob.net/
I will introduce 5 most installed ringtones:
- Hamara Hal Na Pucho ringtones
- Dekhte Dekhte ringtones
- Heartless ringtones
- Ek Raat ringtones
- Jab Bhi Teri Yaad Aayegi ringtones
Thank you for your attention!