That's tomorrow! Holy Cow Batman! I can't let the day go by without a post on that subject.
So here it is:
I'll start with a small bit of trivia. Do you know where the name "Grammy" comes from?
The Grammy Awards were originally called the Gramophone Awards. Over the years, the "phone" part was dropped and the abbreviated "Grammy Awards" found a life of it's own and stuck. I didn't mean to insult some of my more knowledgeable readers but I'm sure there are a few readers (like me) that just learned something.
So with that said, let me take you back about 30 years to the days when Disco ruled the airways. The year was 1978 and these are the songs that ruled.
Some of the Grammy Winners included:
- Record of the Year: Just the way you are - Billy Joel
- Album of the Year: Saturday Night Fever - Bee Gees, K.C. and Sunshine Band, Tavares, Kool and the Gang, MFSB, Trammps, and a few others.
- Best Pop Vocal Performance Male: Copacabana - Barry Manilow
- Best Pop Vocal Performance Female: You Needed Me - Anne Murray
- Best R & B Vocal Performance Male: On Broadway - George Benson
- Best Country Vocal Performance Male: Georgia on My Mind - Willie Nelson
Just a few winners to tempt your curiosity. The Bee Gees were big winners that night and walked away with 5 trophies. But what about the Best New Artist category? This is always one of the more exciting categories and telling awards. The following artists were nominated for their hits in 1978. This award was presented in 1979.
- The Cars
- Elvis Costello
- Chris Rea
- A Taste of Honey
So who do you think won the Grammy for Best New Artist? (do do do do do do do.... theme from Jeopardy playing)
And the Grammy goes to: A Taste Of Honey!
For their hit song: Boogie Oogie Oogie.
While Toto, The Cars, and Elvis Costello, seemed to enjoy their share of the limelight, A Taste of Honey seemed to have more questionable fame and fortune. They released another song- Sukiyaki - that did well on the charts. I'm streaming it here if you'd like to listen to it: Follow this link.
And if you'd like to reminisce for a while and time travel back to 1978 - Here you go.......