Saturday, March 15, 2008

Goofy Retro Movie Re-makes!

Say that three times really fast!

I saw a trailer for a movie the other day with a release date of May 9, 2008. It goes without saying, that day will be here before we can blink. The name of the movie: Speed Racer. I know the original show predates many of us but I actually remember watching the show (reruns) as a young kid. I was fascinated by the capabilities of the car and the story was pretty good too. It was an animated series created by a young Japanese anime pioneer named Tatsuo Yoshida. I later learned that Yoshida got his inspiration for the series after watching two influential movies of the time: Viva Las Vegas - starring Elvis Presley and Goldfinger - starring the "shaken not stirred" legend- James Bond 007. The series combined the racing action of Viva Las Vegas with the high - tech gadgetry of the Bond Aston Martin in the movie Goldfinger.



Speed Racer



A strong stand out character to me was the mysterious masked "Racer X" who serves as "Speed Racer's" guardian angel. Later in the series we learn his true identity. I won't spoil it for you soon to be watchers.


Racer X

While I have my doubts about the ultimate success of the movie (I don't think it will be taking home all of the Oscars), I do think it has an interesting cast:



Christina Ricci as Trixie
Emile Hirsch as Speed
Matthew Fox as Racer X
Susan Sarandon as Mom Racer
John Goodman as Pops Racer
Richard Roundtree as Ben Burns


So if you're bored in May and looking for something to do - Be sure to check it out.

And if Goofy retro remake movies is your thing, be on the lookout for the release of Get Smart (Again) starring Steve Carell as Maxwell Smart on June 20, 2008.





Get Smart

No comments: