Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Undercoverblackman - May the Funk be with you!

If This Picture Scares You - Read No Further! Cause it may get Funky in Here!



Bootsy Collins performing at the Los Angeles Funk Festival-June 1977


Is There Funk After Death? Is 7 -UP?



I'm not sure I really believe it but David Mills, who blogs
(should I now say blogged?)
as "Undercoverblackman," has posted his last post!

See his final post.... Stick a Fork in Me

He's retired from blogging!


Some of you are familiar with UBM - a blog buddy of mine who stops through from time to time. He has compiled an interesting archive of over 2000 posts. To me, that's a monumental number. I look at it this way- if I continue to post at my current rate, It will take me about 10 more years to reach that number! Get my drift? I'm not sure I have that kind of endurance.

His posts are compelling and engaging and his audience is as diverse as his subject matter. He always seemed to have some passionate discussion going on at his blog, or at least some "undercover" tunes kicking up dust. Knowing him as I do, I didn't expect anything less from him. He's a true intellect. His list of accomplishments is very long as well. To highlight a few - He was an executive producer and writer of the HBO miniseries The Corner, for which he won two Emmy Awards. He was the creator, executive producer, and writer of the NBC miniseries Kingpin. He has written several episodes of The Wire, and is currently working with David Simon on what will prove to be an awesome production - Treme. Check it out when it hits the screen and feel free to pick up Kingpin, The Corner, or The Wire on DVD. You won't be disappointed.

Still another one of his unique collaborations and one that is often overshadowed by his screenwriting is: For The Record - George Clinton and P-Funk - An Oral History which he co-wrote with Larry Alexander, Thomas Stanley, and Aris Wilson.


It is in that direction that I will aim my post:





George Clinton and P-Funk




UBM - May The Funk Be With You as you proceed on your journey!







Here's a bit of the new aged Funk!

An interesting piece I discovered a while back. I've been listening to Culbertson for a while but didn't know that he had dabbled in the Funk!








And Here's a bit of the original old school Uncut Funk! Or for you legitimate P-Funksters -The Bomb!


P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up) - Parliament

And speaking of Hollywood!





Hollywood Squares - Bootsy Collins



I don't know about the rest of you but "Make my Funk the P-Funk!" Gimmie a shout UBM, let's do the Good Earth when you can!

And get some rest, I got a feeling you'll be working your butt off pretty soon!

4 comments:

Dick Stone said...

A fitting tribute to our old friend. I remember hanging with UBM in high school and college. He was always trying to funk me up. He was always trying to get me into P-funk and Prince (OK, he got to me a bit with Prince) I had a part time job at Barnes & Noble and found his book on George Clinton and P-funk. I wanted to put a special order to get it just because it was his, but alas, it was listed as out of print. I will miss his blogging. It led me to start mine.

Heather Dugan (Footsteps) said...

Jeesh. NOW you tell me... (as in, I wish I'd been reading some of those 2000 posts as they came out!)

Enjoying the music...

intrepidideas said...

Dickster,
You think UBM is really done? I'm not so sure. I think he's been bitten by the bug and may come back in a different format. Time will tell. You guys were Prince fans huh? A musical genius.


Heather.. I'm sorry. I was remiss. I'll try to do a better job of keeping you informed. :)

Dick Stone said...

The one thing we know for certain is that UBM can't not write.