Saturday, February 21, 2009

2009 Academy Awards - Printable Ballot

Today I was driving up Coldwater Canyon in Beverly Hills and I noticed a familiar site. Valet parking at one of the homes. I'm not sure who the owner is but every year on the Saturday before the Academy Awards, he/she hosts a party. I've always assumed it was an Academy Awards party. Today I got (perhaps) a bit of confirmation.



As I was passing the home moving along at a pretty good clip, one of the valet parking/security supervisors motioned for me to stop. Clearly this wasn't an officer of the law or even a traffic control official. So I would have been well within my rights to keep moving. It was, however, a nicely dressed gentleman who I gathered was simply doing his job and trying to facilitate the movement of traffic in front of the home. So I opted to comply with his directions but instead of slamming on the brakes I slowed to a gradual stop. This left me about ten feet from him. The guy then motioned for a car to proceed in front of me as I patiently waited. I happened to look at the driver of the car and behold - to my surprise it was the legendary Michael Douglas.





Up close and impersonal. Probably 12 feet from where I sat. If it wasn't Michael Douglas, it was a Really good copy. I smiled and looked at him and expected a smile in return or at least a wave accompanied by a silent lip movement indicating - thank you.... After all, I'm a huge fan. He should know that right? He was great in Falling Down and so many other movies. But sadly, nothing came. Instead, he just pulled his vehicle in front of mine while staring straight ahead and pulled off. I don't think he ever looked in my direction or consciously acknowledged that I had yielded and given him priority. The parking supervisor, who by now had observed this whole thing, looked at me and grinned. No doubt, agreeing with what I was thinking = "How ungrateful and impolite." Oh well, I exhaled and wondered if I was being too harsh. Perhaps he's preoccupied with something else I rationed. After all, you never know what people are going through. And although ungrateful drivers is one of my pet peeves, this really didn't bother me much.


I do know that this is a big weekend if you're in the movie business. Academy Awards Day! A.K.A Mister Oscar Day! There's a lot on the table for people in the business. I'm sure Michael Douglas was crunching the numbers and facts and speculating on who/what will win big.

By 1975 standards, this won't be a huge year for Douglas. Some of you might know or remember that Michael Douglas produced a movie in 1975 that scored Big!








The movie was the first to win all five major Academy Awards (Best Picture, Actor in Lead Role, Actress in Lead Role, Director, Screenplay) since It Happened One Night in 1934, an accomplishment not repeated until 1991, by The Silence of the Lambs.


And this year's results can't compare to his blockbuster performance as "Gordon Gekko" in the movie Wall Street. The role that scored him the coveted award for Best Actor.



Douglas, playing Gordon Gekko in Wall Street

Mr. Douglas, I'm not sure if you were reliving those moments or what but I'm sympathetic to what you must be going through this time of the year. It's a big weekend and we're all excited and eager as well. And for you, it's got to be tough going through life with beautiful women chasing after you and never really knowing who will catch up with you and boil a rabbit on your stove top a la Fatal Attraction. Or who will seduce you and lead you to wonder if they'll try to kill you with an ice pick per Basic Instinct. Yes - the dreaded celebrity life. It ain't easy.

So hang in there, I'm still a big fan regardless. In fact, I'm looking forward to the release of the sequel to Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps. But next time someone lets you into traffic - Be Polite and show a little Gratitude! Your fans will love you more for it.

And for all of you other Oscar fans, I know you're taking bets and looking for an edge to win the office pool. Well, I've just found something to help you out. No, It's not my lame predictions of the winners but it's a printable ballot sheet to record your choices and the winners. Follow this link to get it

Have fun.

1 comment:

Jane Turley said...

I sense you were a little offended Mr I! And rightly so...there's no excuse for bad manners whatever your status. Maybe he was having a bad day but it sounds to me like he had plenty of time to consider what was the appropriate behaviour and choose not to act accordingly.

Strike him off your Christmas card list!

Enjoyable post again. You got me addicted - just as well you've not got a bunny eh?!