Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Quotable Quotes!

If you've ever been to Paris, perhaps you've strolled by a bronze and marble sculpture by Auguste Rodin held in the Musée Rodin. It depicts a man in sober meditation seeming to be engaged in a powerful internal struggle. The piece was originally named The Poet, and it's said that Rodin based his theme on The Divine Comedy by Dante and The Thinker was originally meant to depict Dante in front of the Gates of Hell, pondering his great poem.

Rodin made a first small plaster version around 1880. The first large-scale bronze cast was finished in 1902, but not presented to the public until 1904. It became the property of the city of Paris – thanks to a subscription organized by Rodin admirers – and was put in front of the Panthéon in 1906. In 1922, it was moved to the Hôtel Biron, which was transformed into a Rodin Museum.

Unlike any other piece, this work of Rodin seems to epitomize what I consider to be "true intellect." Without question, It stands as an icon of unadulterated deep thinking.

But what exactly is "True Intellect" and what constitutes "Deep Thinking?"

I've recently wondered if there is really any "True Intellect" left in this world.








Until now!






I'm here to tell you that Uncle Jed Clampett (from the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies) is now the "Big Cheese" of thinkers in my book!

Yes, they always raved about Jethro Bodine being the smart one in the family and having a sixth-grade education and all but a few days ago I heard Uncle Jed say something that made me stop in my tracks and take notice. Jethro was in his usual excited state and just about to run off half-cocked to do something destructively stupid when Uncle Jed hit him with the "Quotable Quote" .........

"Now Jethro, Don't Commence A'Swimmin' Until You Hit The Water!"


I tell you, I had to stop what I was doing and sit down and ponder this complex literal masterpiece. Wow, I was stymied! I'm not nearly as quick as good ole Jethro. But after a few minutes of deep intellectual thought myself, I was able to come up with the true meaning of this statement.

Uncle Jed was trying to tell Jethro to "slow down.... Don't put your cart ahead of your horses... Or hold your horses. " In other words, "Don't get ahead of yourself. Timing is everything!"

Cosmic Thinking uncle Jed. I'll be using that phrase a lot in the near future!



Timing Is Everything!

3 comments:

Heather Dugan Creative / Footsteps said...

That is indeed "quotable". Much better than the cart and horse illustration, and the use of "commence" elevates it from "pithy" to "profound" in my estimation.

Forget the news. I'd better watch the Clampetts if I want to sound educated!

intrepidideas said...

Footsteps, Yep, you better git a watchin' You never know what wisdom may come from Granny!

Dick Stone said...

Uncle Jed is truly a wise old sage